Car accidents are among the leading causes of injuries and fatalities in the United States, and Astoria is no exception. Every year, numerous people are involved in car accidents on the roads of Astoria.
While some of these accidents may be minor, others can result in severe injuries or even death. If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident in Astoria, seeking legal representation from an experienced Astoria car accident lawyer is essential.
At the Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III, we understand the devastating impact a car accident can have on a person’s life. Our team of skilled attorneys has years of experience representing car accident victims in Astoria and the surrounding areas.
We are committed to helping our clients obtain the compensation they deserve for their injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. To get started, contact our law office to schedule a free consultation.
Causes of Car Accidents in Astoria
Car accidents can happen for various reasons, including driver error, road conditions, and vehicle malfunction. Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Astoria include:
Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of car accidents. It refers to any activity that takes the driver’s attention away from the road, such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, or adjusting the radio.
Distracted drivers are likelier to miss important visual and auditory cues on the road, making them more susceptible to accidents. Drivers must always remain focused on the road to avoid potential hazards and stay safe.
Speeding is another leading cause of car accidents. Driving at an excessive speed reduces reaction time and increases the severity of an accident. A speeding driver may not have enough time to react to changes in road conditions or avoid other vehicles, pedestrians, or animals.
Drivers should always obey posted speed limits and adjust their driving based on road conditions to prevent accidents caused by speeding.
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a significant cause of car accidents. Impaired drivers have slower reaction times, reduced judgment, and impaired vision, making them more likely to cause accidents.
Alcohol and drugs impair the ability to make quick decisions and react to hazards on the road. Drivers should never operate a vehicle after consuming alcohol or drugs, which can lead to severe injuries, fatalities, and legal consequences.
Contact our drunk driving lawyers for more information.
Reckless driving is a form of aggressive driving that includes tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, and failing to yield the right of way. It is a leading cause of car accidents, and it puts the lives of all road users in danger.
Reckless drivers are more likely to cause accidents because they disregard traffic laws and other road users’ safety. Practicing defensive driving and remaining vigilant to avoid accidents caused by reckless driving is essential.
Poor Road Conditions
Poor road conditions, such as potholes, debris, and poorly maintained roads, can cause accidents. They can damage vehicles and cause drivers to lose control, leading to accidents. Local governments are responsible for maintaining road conditions and should ensure the roads are safe for all users.
Drivers should remain alert for potential hazards on the road and adjust their driving based on road conditions to prevent accidents.
What to Do After a Car Accident
If you are involved in a car accident in Astoria, there are several things you should do to protect yourself and your legal rights.
Call the Police
After a car accident, it is essential to call the police, even if it is a minor accident. The police will document the accident, take statements from witnesses, and create an official report. The police report is valuable evidence that can help support your claim and determine who was at fault for the accident.
Seek Medical Attention
Even if you feel fine after the accident, it is essential to seek medical attention to ensure that you have not sustained any injuries.
Some injuries, such as whiplash or traumatic brain injuries, may not be apparent immediately after the accident. Seeking medical attention can also help you get the treatment you need and create a record of your injuries.
It is crucial to exchange information with the other driver, including their name, address, phone number, and insurance information. You should also get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
Taking pictures of the accident scene, damage to vehicles, and any injuries sustained is crucial evidence that can help support your claim. You should also gather other relevant evidence, such as video footage or eyewitness statements.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Astoria
An experienced Astoria car accident lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. They can help you gather evidence, determine fault, negotiate with insurance companies, and file a lawsuit if necessary. An attorney can also help you understand your legal rights and ensure you do not miss any important deadlines.
Contacting a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident can help you build a stronger case and increase your chances of obtaining fair compensation.
Injuries in Car Accidents
Car accidents can result in various injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to severe and life-threatening injuries. Some of the most common injuries sustained in car accidents include:
Whiplash is a common injury sustained in car accidents, especially rear-end collisions. It occurs when the head is suddenly jerked forward and backward, causing neck and spine damage. Symptoms may include neck pain, stiffness, and headaches.
The force of a car accident can cause fractures or breaks in the bones. Broken bones can be painful and may require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
A blow to the head can cause a traumatic brain injury, which can result in long-term disability or even death. Symptoms may include dizziness, headaches, confusion, and loss of consciousness. Treatment for traumatic brain injuries may involve surgery, medication, and rehabilitation.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Damage to the spinal cord can result in partial or complete paralysis. Spinal cord injuries can have a significant impact on a person’s life, requiring ongoing medical treatment and rehabilitation.
Internal bleeding or damage to organs can occur from the impact of a car accident. These injuries may not be immediately apparent and can lead to severe health consequences if left untreated. Symptoms may include abdominal pain, nausea, and dizziness. Immediate medical attention is crucial for treating internal injuries.
Laws to Protect Injured Victims and Related to Filing a Personal Injury Claim
In New York, several laws protect injured victims and allow them to seek compensation for their damages. These include:
- No-Fault Insurance: New York is a no-fault state, which means that your insurance company is responsible for paying your medical expenses and lost wages, regardless of who caused the accident.
- Statute of Limitations: There is a time limit for filing a personal injury claim in New York. In most cases, you have three years from the accident date to file a claim. However, there are exceptions, and it is best to speak with an experienced Astoria car accident lawyer to ensure you do not miss any important deadlines.
- Comparative Negligence: New York is a comparative negligence state, which means that if you are partially at fault for the accident, your compensation may be reduced by your percentage of fault.
- Mandatory Insurance: All drivers in New York must carry minimum liability insurance to cover damages caused by an accident.
At the Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III, our Astoria car accident lawyers are well-versed in the New York car accident laws. We can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and other damages.
Damages You Can Receive from a Car Accident Claim
Car accidents in New York can result in various damages, including:
- Medical Expenses: Car accident victims may face significant medical expenses, including hospital bills, doctor visits, medications, physical therapy, and other medical treatments.
- Lost Wages: Injuries sustained in a car accident may result in time off work, causing victims to lose income. Victims can recover lost wages, including future lost earnings if they cannot return to work.
- Pain and Suffering: Car accident victims may experience physical and emotional pain and suffering due to the injuries sustained. This includes mental anguish, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Property Damage: Car accidents can cause significant damage to vehicles, resulting in repair or replacement costs. Victims can recover the cost of repairing or replacing their damaged vehicle.
- Wrongful Death: In cases where a car accident results in a fatality, surviving family members may recover damages for loss of income, funeral expenses, and other damages.
New York does not have caps on damages in personal injury cases. In fact, the state’s constitution explicitly prohibits the legislature from imposing caps on damages for injury or death caused by another party’s negligence or wrongful act. This means that victims of car accidents and other personal injury cases in New York can recover full and fair compensation for their damages, including economic and non-economic damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
An experienced Astoria car accident lawyer can help victims recover compensation for these and other damages resulting from a car accident in New York.
How to File a Car Accident Claim
Filing a car accident claim can be a complex and confusing process, especially when dealing with injuries and medical expenses. Here are the steps involved in filing a car accident claim in Astoria:
- Contact an Astoria car accident lawyer: The first step in filing a car accident claim is to speak with an experienced attorney. They can help you gather evidence, determine fault, and navigate the legal process.
- Investigate the accident: Your attorney will investigate the accident to determine who was at fault and the extent of your damages.
- File a claim with the insurance company: Your attorney will file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company and negotiate on your behalf to obtain the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit: If a settlement cannot be reached, your attorney may file a lawsuit to recover damages.
How Our Law Firm Can Help
At the Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III, our Astoria car accident lawyers have years of experience representing car accident victims in Astoria and the surrounding areas. We understand the devastating impact a car accident can have on a person’s life, and we are committed to helping our clients obtain the compensation they deserve.
Our attorneys will investigate your accident, gather evidence, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. We will ensure you receive the medical care you need and help you recover damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Astoria, please contact the Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III. Our experienced attorneys will fight for your rights and help you obtain your deserved compensation.
Contact Our Law Firm for Help with Your Astoria Car Accident Claim
Car accidents can be devastating, resulting in severe injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident in Astoria, seeking legal representation from an experienced Astoria car accident lawyer is essential.
At the Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III, our attorneys have the experience and knowledge necessary to help you navigate the legal process and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today for a free consultation.