Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents are common and can occur almost anywhere – on a sidewalk, in a grocery store, or even in someone’s home. Such incidents can cause serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
If you have suffered injuries due to a slip and fall accident in Astoria, New York, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages.
At The Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III, our experienced Astoria slip and fall lawyers can help you pursue a personal injury claim against the negligent party. Our team understands the challenges that slip and fall victims face, and we are dedicated to helping you obtain the compensation you deserve.
The first step is to call our office to schedule a free consultation.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Astoria
Slip and fall accidents can happen for various reasons, but some common causes include:
Wet or Slippery Floors
Wet or slippery floors can be a significant hazard, especially in public places. If a property owner or occupier fails to take reasonable steps to address the issue, such as cleaning up spills promptly or providing adequate warning signs, they may be held liable for any slip and fall injuries that occur.
Uneven or Cracked Sidewalks
Uneven or cracked sidewalks can also pose a significant risk to pedestrians. Property owners or municipalities are responsible for maintaining public walkways, and if they fail to repair hazards promptly, they may be held liable for any slip and fall accidents that result.
Poor lighting can make it difficult to see hazards and navigate safely. Property owners are responsible for providing adequate lighting in public areas, and if they fail to do so, they may be held liable for any injuries that occur as a result of poor visibility.
Loose Carpeting or Flooring
Loose carpeting or flooring can be a tripping hazard, particularly in high-traffic areas. Property owners are responsible for maintaining safe premises, and if they fail to address loose or damaged flooring promptly, they may be held liable for any slip and fall accidents that occur.
Obstructed walkways, such as cluttered aisles or narrow passages, can make it challenging to navigate safely. Property owners are responsible for keeping public areas clear of obstacles and ensuring visitors can move around safely.
Broken Stairs or Handrails
Broken stairs or handrails can be particularly dangerous, especially for those with mobility issues. Property owners are responsible for ensuring that stairs and handrails are in good repair and up to code.
Ice or Snow on Walkways
Ice or snow on walkways can be a significant slip-and-fall hazard, particularly in winter. Property owners are responsible for clearing snow and ice from public areas promptly, and if they fail to do so, they may be held liable for any injuries that result from slip-and-fall accidents.
If you have been involved in a slip and fall accident, it is crucial to document the cause of your fall and any hazards present during the accident. This information can be crucial in proving negligence in your case.
Proving Negligence in a Slip and Fall Case
To recover compensation in a slip and fall case, you must prove that the property owner or occupier was negligent in maintaining safe premises. In general, negligence refers to a failure to exercise reasonable care, resulting in harm to another person.
To prove negligence in a slip-and-fall case, you must establish the following elements:
The Duty of Care in a Slip and Fall Case
In a slip-and-fall case, the property owner or occupier owes a duty of care to visitors. This duty requires them to maintain safe premises and protect visitors from known hazards. If you were lawfully on the property at the time of your slip and fall accident, the property owner or occupier owed you a duty of care.
Breach of Duty in a Slip and Fall Case
A breach of the duty of care can occur when the property owner or occupier fails to remedy a known hazard, such as a wet floor or broken stairs. If the breach of duty caused your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages.
Causation in a Slip and Fall Case
To recover compensation in a slip and fall case, you must establish a causal link between the breach of duty and your injuries. This requires demonstrating that the breach of duty directly caused your slip and fall accident and resulting injuries.
Damages in a Slip and Fall Case
If you suffered damages due to your slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Damages include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Our experienced slip-and-fall lawyers can help you assess your damages and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Damages in a Slip and Fall Case
If you have suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for various damages, including:
- Medical Expenses: Slip and fall accidents can result in significant medical expenses, including emergency care, hospitalization, rehabilitation, and ongoing treatment.
- Lost Wages: If you cannot work due to slip and fall injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages. This can include both past and future earnings that you have lost due to your injuries.
- Pain and Suffering: Slip and fall accidents can cause significant physical and emotional pain.
- Disability or Disfigurement: Serious slip and fall injuries can result in long-term disability or disfigurement.
- Reduced Earning Capacity: If your slip and fall injuries have reduced your earning capacity, you may be entitled to compensation for your future loss of income. This can include compensation for your reduced ability to earn a living due to your injuries.
- Emotional Distress: Slip and fall accidents can be traumatic, causing emotional and mental anguish.
Our Astoria slip and fall lawyers can help you assess the full extent of your damages and seek compensation for your losses. We work tirelessly to ensure that our clients receive the maximum compensation they deserve for their injuries.
Why Choose The Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III?
At The Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III, we have over 25 years of experience representing slip and fall victims in Astoria and throughout New York.
Our personal injury attorneys are dedicated to providing every client with compassionate and personalized legal representation. Here are some reasons why you should choose our firm to represent you in your slip and fall case:
- Experience: Our legal team has extensive experience handling slip and fall cases; we know what it takes to win.
- Aggressive representation: We are not afraid to go up against insurance companies or other powerful entities to secure the compensation our clients deserve.
- Personalized attention: We understand that every case is unique, and we take the time to listen to our client’s concerns and tailor our approach to their individual needs.
- No upfront fees: We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning we only get paid if we win your case.
- Accessible: Our attorneys are available 24/7 to answer any questions you may have about your case.
Contact Our Slip and Fall Lawyers in Astoria Today
If you have suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident in Astoria, New York, contact The Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III, today. Our experienced legal team can help you pursue a personal injury claim and obtain the compensation you deserve.
We offer free consultations, and there are no upfront fees. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our Astoria slip and fall lawyers.