Being involved in a car accident is a traumatic experience, even more so when the accident is a rear-end collision. Rear-end car accidents are one of the most common car accidents in Long Island, and they can cause serious injuries and property damage.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a rear-end car accident in Long Island, it is crucial to seek the assistance of an experienced Long Island rear-end car accident attorney to protect your legal rights.
Here, you can learn about rear-end car accidents in Long Island, the legal process, and why hiring a Long Island rear-end car accident attorney is essential.
What are Rear-End Car Accidents?
A rear-end car accident occurs when one vehicle crashes into the back of another vehicle.
Rear-end collisions are often caused by drivers not paying attention, following too closely, or driving too fast. Occasionally, rear-end defective brakes, poor road conditions, or inclement weather can cause collisions.
According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, there were 51,603 rear-end car accidents in New York in 2019, resulting in 10,625 injuries and 34 fatalities. Rear-end car accidents accounted for 21% of all car accidents in New York in 2019.
Common Causes of Rear-End Accidents in Long Island
Some of the most common causes of rear-end accidents include the following:
- Distracted Driving: When a driver is distracted by their phone, GPS, or other distractions, they may not be paying attention to the road in front of them. This can lead to them not noticing when the vehicle in front of them has stopped and rear-ended them.
- Tailgating: When drivers follow too closely to the vehicle in front of them, they have less time to react if the vehicle in front of them suddenly stops. This can cause them to collide with the other vehicle from behind.
- Speeding: When a driver travels at a high speed, they have less time to react if the vehicle in front of them suddenly stops. This can cause them to collide with the other vehicle from behind.
- Poor Weather Conditions: Rain, snow, and ice can make roads slippery and reduce visibility, making it more difficult for drivers to stop in time to avoid a collision with the vehicle in front of them.
- Faulty Brakes: If a driver’s brakes fail, they may be unable to stop in time to avoid a collision with the vehicle in front of them.
If you are involved in an accident caused by someone else, contact a Long Island rear-end car accident attorney for assistance.
What to Do After a Rear-End Car Accident in Long Island?
If you have been involved in a rear-end car accident in Long Island, there are several things you should do to protect your legal rights:
- Seek medical attention: Even if you feel fine after the accident, it is essential to seek medical attention. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent, and delaying medical treatment can jeopardize your health and legal case.
- Call the police: Contact the police to report the accident and wait for them to arrive. The police will create an accident report, which will be important evidence in your case.
- Exchange information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident.
- Gather evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, including the damage to the vehicles, the location of the accident, and any other relevant details.
- Contact an attorney: Contact an experienced Long Island rear-end car accident attorney to discuss your legal rights and options.
Why Hire a Long Island Rear-End Car Accident Attorney?
If you have been involved in a rear-end car accident in Long Island, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and property damage. However, navigating the legal process can be complicated and stressful, particularly when dealing with injuries and medical bills.
An experienced Long Island rear-end car accident attorney can guide you through the legal process and protect your rights. They can:
- Investigate the accident: Your attorney will investigate the accident and gather evidence to support your case. This may include reviewing the police report, interviewing witnesses, and consulting with accident reconstruction experts.
- Negotiate with insurance companies: Insurance companies may offer a settlement to resolve your case, but it is crucial to have an experienced attorney negotiate on your behalf to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Represent you in court: If your case goes to court, your attorney will represent you and advocate for your rights.
- Help you recover damages: Your attorney will work to recover damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.
What Damages Can You Recover in a Rear-End Car Accident Case?
If you have been involved in a rear-end car accident in Long Island, you may be entitled to several types of damages, including:
- Medical expenses: You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, including hospitalization, surgery, rehabilitation, and medication.
- Lost wages: If you cannot work due to your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages.
- Property damage: You may be entitled to compensation for damage to your vehicle and any other property damaged in the accident.
- Pain and suffering: If you suffered physical or emotional pain and suffering due to the accident, you might be entitled to compensation.
- Wrongful death: If a loved one was killed in a rear-end car accident, you might be entitled to compensation for funeral expenses, loss of income, and other damages.
What Are the Laws Regarding Rear-End Car Accidents in Long Island?
In New York, drivers have a legal duty to operate their vehicles safely and to avoid causing harm to others on the road. If a driver fails to exercise reasonable care and causes a rear-end car accident, they may be liable for the resulting damages.
Under New York law, rear-end collisions are generally presumed to be the fault of the driver who rear-ended the other vehicle. However, this presumption can be rebutted if the driver of the front vehicle was also negligent in some way, such as by suddenly stopping without warning.
In addition, New York follows the doctrine of comparative negligence, which means that the damages in a rear-end car accident case will be apportioned based on the degree of fault of each party.
For example, if the driver who rear-ended another vehicle was 80% at fault for the accident, and the other driver was 20% at fault, the damages would be apportioned accordingly.
Why Choose The Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III?
If you have been involved in a rear-end car accident in Long Island, choosing an experienced and reputable attorney to represent you is important. The Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III has served clients in Long Island for over 20 years and has a proven track record of successful handling of rear-end car accident cases.
Joseph J. Perrini, III is a highly experienced Long Island rear-end car accident attorney who is dedicated to protecting his client’s rights and helping them recover the compensation they deserve.
He thoroughly understands New York’s car accident laws and will work tirelessly to ensure your case is resolved as quickly and favorably as possible.
The Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III also offers a free consultation to discuss your case and answer any questions. They work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you will not have to pay any fees unless they recover compensation on your behalf.
Contact a Rear-End Collision Accident Lawyer in Long Island Today
Rear-end car accidents are common in Long Island and can cause serious injuries and property damage. If you have been involved in a rear-end car accident in Long Island, it is important to seek the assistance of an experienced Long Island rear-end car accident attorney to ensure that your legal rights are protected.
At The Law Offices of Joseph J. Perrini, III, we are dedicated to helping our clients recover the compensation they deserve for their injuries and damages. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can help you.